May 8, 2021

JT NEWS

every news you want

Saudi Arabia “intercepts ballistic missile attack on Riyadh” | Houthis News

3 min read


The Saudi-led coalition blames the Houthis in Yemen as state television broadcasts footage of explosions in the air over Riyadh.

Multiple explosions were heard and the night sky over Saudi Arabia’s capital Riyadh lit up on Saturday as a Saudi-led military coalition announced backlash from a missile attack which she blamed on the Houthi rebels in Yemen.

Brigadier General Turki al-Malki, spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition, said in a statement that the Houthis launched a ballistic missile towards Riyadh and three drones trapped in the direction of Jizan province, with a fourth to the southwest town of Khamis. Mushait.

No casualties were reported, although state television Al Ekhbariya said fragments of the missile scattered throughout several neighborhoods in Riyadh, damaging at least one house.

There was no immediate comment from the Houthis.

The attacks came as Saudi Arabia hosted a Formula E championship on the outskirts of Riyadh, which state media said was attended by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Al Ekhbariya posted footage of what appeared to be explosions in the air over Riyadh, and social media users also posted videos, some showing residents screaming as they watched the blast of fire break through the night sky, which appeared to be the kingdom’s Patriot missile batteries intercepting. the ballistic missile.

Al Malki said the Houthis were “systematically and deliberately trying to target civilians”.

The US embassy in Riyadh has issued a warning to Americans, calling on them to “remain vigilant in the event of further future attacks.” Flight tracking websites have shown that several flights due to land at Riyadh International Airport were hijacked or delayed within an hour of the attack.

As the years-long war in Yemen continues, Houthi missile and drone attacks on the kingdom have become commonplace, rarely causing damage. Earlier this month, the Houthis hit an empty passenger plane at Abha Airport in southwestern Saudi Arabia with a bomb-laden drone, causing it to catch fire .

Meanwhile, the Saudi-led coalition has faced widespread international criticism for the airstrike campaigns in Yemen that have killed hundreds of civilians and hit non-military targets, including schools, hospitals and hospitals. weddings.

US President Joe Biden announced this month that he was ending his country’s support for the Saudi-led war in Yemen, including “relevant” arms sales. But he stressed that the United States will continue to help Saudi Arabia defend itself against external attacks.

The Houthis invaded Yemen’s capital and much of the country’s north in 2014, forcing the government into exile and months later, prompting Saudi Arabia and its allies to intervene. But years of bombing have failed to shake the rebels’ grip on the capital Sana’a, and they have gradually extended their reach into the north of the country.

The Houthis are now continuing a deadly offensive to seize the Yemeni government’s stronghold of Marib, where some of the country’s richest oil fields are located.

According to international organizations, the bitter conflict in Yemen has claimed tens of thousands of lives and displaced millions of people, triggering what the United Nations calls the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *